Latest News

Oh what the -uck?!

Monday, July 5, 2010 , Posted by Joe at 6:21 AM

Someone please just shoot me! What asshole let me get this sick? I've been here in South Korea for a little while now and I'm tired of being sick. As the record stands I have been sick 5 times in last 4 months. These antigens out here in SK are straight up disrespecting my immune system.

"So what?" you might be asking in the midst of my rant. Let me assure you that I am the captain of this damn flight and we are going to get there when we get there; now sit your ass down! Anyways this aggression is meant for my recruiters that gave me the wrong impression about what I should bring overseas with me. When I asked them if I should bring medicine they told me that they had many Korean brands and other traditional medicines but there were no American brands of medicines out here.

So I did what I do best. I listened and did the exact opposite. Seriously the only thing I didn't stock up on was medicine. I brought a small supply of throat lozenge's, a bottle of cough syrup, and half empty bag of cough drops. Now I realize that my half-assed attempt of trying to pack a suitcase shifts the blame to me. But after the second time I got sick I had depleted my entire supply of medicine. Afterwards every time that I had gotten sick since I laid in bed and suffered in macabre hopelessness because I was under the impression there was no familiar medicine that would be available to me. My bouts of sickness have gotten so bad that at one point I had lost my voice for an entire week.

Now fast forward to today. I had to go to a local grocery store to pick up a new sponge in order to replace the one that I left soaking in the sink over the weekend (yeah my level of "jack-ass" is permanently stuck on High). After I bought my items I proceeded to walk past a drug store in order to head to the bus stop and make my way home. Then from my peripheral vision I saw what seemed to be a very familiar packaging.



I honestly kind of half-walked half-ran over the counter and used my Korean to ask him "Ego moe ya yo?" -What is this? He flipped the package around and said, "Tea."



After seeing this I couldn't keep my hand from shooting for my wallet. He seriously could have said that this was the last box on the island and I would have paid him 70 bucks for this magical elixir. Thank goodness this was only 6,000 won (4.90 USD).
And here I was counting my lucky stars and praying that I would somehow stumble across a suitcase full of Tylenol and NyQuil when I could have just walked right on in and enjoyed BREATHING like a normal person. Grrr!!

Joe - OUT!!

Currently have 7 comments:

  1. Unknown says:

    Yo dude, when you start life at a new place or job, you get exposed to all the germs and viruses at your new location. Case in point, 3 weeks after I started at Best Buy I got swine flu.

  1. Joe says:

    Thanks for the support Brian. You know I figured as much but there is a point where you just have to say enough. Maybe I am going about this all wrong. This might be more of a mental challenge and not a physical one? Regardless I have had it with the sickness, I hope you enjoyed my rant though :)

  1. :::April::: says:

    there's Tylenol ER in yellow packaging. you need a Korean to say it the right way though! haha..=)

  1. queenvj says:

    Let see small class room full of children and you. Guess who will win ??? yes you guess right the children with there germs

    take care :\

  1. Joe says:

    To April - Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it because I will undoubtedly get sick again. I just pray that it's no time in the near future-haha!

  1. Luc says:

    I said it before and i'm going to say it again "THAT'S WHAT YOU LIKE" lol yo you know what would've been even funnier was if when you were making the tea it all fell down the sink DAMMMM SON lol yo if you were to add that to your story i would've died but real smart Joe complain when you could've just went to the store your acting like your apple customers lmao

  1. Joe says:

    To Luc - Now you know you wrong. After I read your comment I was going to rename the blog "How to get cussed out in Korean." I would have dropped that in the sink I would be forced to round house a toddler in the face. And taking into account where I work, I'm pretty sure I could make that happen, ha!

Green Like a Stop Sign?

Green Like a Stop Sign?
Compliments of Elaine Fino