Latest News

Cheonggyecheon River Walk

Friday, July 9, 2010 , Posted by Joe at 6:37 AM

This weekend a good friend and I took a little detour away from both of our towns and ended up somewhere a little unexpected. For the record, I need to hire someone to slap my face when I reach to put on jeans. It's summer time out here and the humidity does NOT play. But it never fails though, I wake up in the morning and I look outside to see that it's cloudy. I my 3 second assessment of the sky convinces my inner weather-person that ,"Yes Joey, you need to wear shorts or you will be cold or you will look all the more foolish."

Instead it always seems to either clear up or stay cloudy throughout the majority of the day. Thus making my weekend excursions on foot a miserable montage of stringing together as many curse words as I can think in order to spite the heat. Fortunately my frustration brought me to check out the Cheonggyecheon River located in Seoul. This was a beautiful walk encompassed everything from small street performances to historical vignettes in stone which were all experienced to the serene sound of the river water.

Here we have the entrance of this attraction. As well as several shots of the immediate surrounding environment:







This walk is pretty long but chances are that you wont complain too much. There were many students and couples walking up and down the river. And if you are tired just do as the locals and take your shoes off and play in the water. It's a very relaxing and a nice get away from a tense work week.



I would recommend visiting this place at night when all the lights come out. In each of these stones there is an individual light that turns on. Plus there are many shops around the area so if you ever need to grab a refreshment or use the restroom you will not have to travel far. I actually ate fresh seafood and drank makkolli (Korean Rice Wine) in a traditional fish market next to the river, which only cost me 7,000 won ($5.72 USD).



All in all I would recommend making the trip if you find the time. I will definately go again at night and better prepared (by wearing shorts!). The exact address is:
31, Taepyeongno 1-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul

I got there by traveling to Gwanghwamun(Stop 533) on Line 5 and taking exit 6 to the street. If you guys do decide to go or have already have gone, leave me a comment. Since I'm going again I would like to hear of other fun things to do in that area.

Joe - OUT!!

Currently have 1 comments:

  1. Luc says:

    yo that ish looks so relaxing man perfect spot for a date if you ask me uh huh you can't lie to me buddy lol

Green Like a Stop Sign?

Green Like a Stop Sign?
Compliments of Elaine Fino