Latest News

GameStop in South Korea

Friday, October 8, 2010 , Posted by Joe at 2:46 AM




Yep that's right, you read that correctly. I almost didn't believe it when I heard it myself but I assure you that YES such a place exists in South Korea. Oddly enough there is not a lot written on this place but I thought I'd do my readers a solid and give them the scoop.

Now why is GameStop so important? The reason that I felt that this place was blog-worthy is because if you're a foreigner and you are considering buying an XBox, PS3, Wii, etc. you do not want to make the mistake of buying a game console in a Korean store with the intent of taking it back home. This is especially important when it comes to buying additional games for your console while you are traveling away from home. If the words NTSC-J, NTSC-U/C, and PAL don't ring any bells you need to stop reading and Google these words. Trust me I am trying to help you save a lot of time, and keep you from disappointment.

In order to get to GameStop you need to go toward the Seoul area. Sorry guys if you don't live in Gyeonggi-do :( You need go to Songtan to get to GameStop. More specifically you will need to go to the Shinjang Shopping Mall, toward Osan Military Base. You can take the blue subway Line One to get there. When you come out of the station you want to hang a right and start your walk.






So if you the option of taking a nice 15-20 minute walk to get there or as you get out of the station you can get in a taxi and say "Main gate." Trust me, they are going to know what you are talking about.



Now if you do decide to walk make sure that you are going toward Shinjang Overpass. You will begin to see signs that will put you in the right direction.





Then after a few short minutes you should come up to a T-Section in the middle of the street. Once you pass that you should be able to Shinjang Shopping Center on your right.



Then on your left you will see the entrance to Osan Military Base.



You want to make sure that you take a right and go into the Shopping Center. Finally GameStop will be on the left hand side of the street. Congratulations! Here are a few more pictures of the inside.







Oh yeah one last thing. They take both USD and KRW won. So don't worry about taking out a bunch of cash before you go. Here are the phone numbers to GameStop in South Korea if you get lost or have questions 031-663-6898 and the cell number is 010-5198-1264. They're also open from 11AM - 8PM everyday!

Joe - OUT!!

Currently have 28 comments:

  1. vic says:

    Does this Gamestop sell American version of games?

  1. Joe says:

    Yep, yep! That's why this store is so special. You can buy Xbox games in any big store out here (e.g. Lotte Mart or E-Mart) and if you try hard enough you can find burned copies of Xbox games in one of the many street markets. However you run to risk of having the game not be compatible with your American Xbox Console (assuming that you bought it in the states and took it with you). To reiterate, Yes they only sell versions of American games at this GameStop.

  1. vic says:

    Thank you so much! About how much do the games go for? Normal price like other stores? I'm pretty sure I spent way too much on an American version of Red Dead Redemption for PS3 the other day on Gmarket.

    But then again, I live about three and a half hours away plus and hour or so on the subway..and then all that again to go back home. I would definitely like to go there at least once though. Thanks for the info again!

  1. Joe says:

    No problem. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you but I have been looking everywhere for my receipt, to quote you the prices, however I can't find. I remember how much I spent but that receipt is important because I you can return a console without a warranty for up to 2 full months from the purchase if you bring in your receipt, just FYI.

    It's better to call the store and they will give you the prices but I picked up A LOT that day in GameStop. I came out of there with a used Xbox, a voltage transformer, Halo 3, Halo ODST (new), and a new controller for only 292600 won ($261.56 USD). That's not to shabby. The Xbox was especially cheap because it came without a hard drive but since I have a 120GB hard drive attached to my computer for all of my Adobe CS4 work I was more that obliged to free up some space for my new toy :) Anyways, I hopes this helps.

  1. Anonymous says:

    I gotta say Joe you made my day when I heard about this place! I moved here to the R.S.K. awhile ago and hated the fact that there was no where to get games like back in the states. I must say it's rare to find quality american games out here, but you did it and for that I thank you!

  1. Anonymous says:

    Do they fix PS3 systems? I just recently move to Camp Humphreys and my PS3 received the YLOD. I have talk with sony and they are asking about 150 for service.


    Also, does this gamestop offer thinkgs like buy two used games and get one free like back in the USA.


    Do they also hack systems?

  1. CoolBreeze says:

    Hey I kno its been almost two years since u published this blog but those numbers for gamestop u put in osan outside the base are no good I just called both and noone picked the store phone and it was the wrong number for the cellphone....i would find out I the actual numbers if I was close enough to them

  1. Anonymous says:

    actually, that number he posted does work and is the correct store number, because I just called them and spoke to them!

    Thank you so much!!!!

  1. Anonymous says:

    do they sell steam wallet codes?

  1. Anonymous says:

    no they do not sell steam codes.

  1. Linda says:

    do they speak English?

  1. Anonymous says:

    The speak great English, usually some American guys behind the counter.

    The prices are good because the compete against the prices on base.

  1. engdak says:

    The gamestop has moved farther down the mall and its on the right side now!!

  1. Anonymous says:

    thanks a bunch. their new phone numbers are 031) 663-6898 / 031) 764-3486 if anyone wants to know if they have yout games ahead of time. the prices are fairly cheap too.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Can anyone give me directions from Seoul Air Base/K16?

  1. Anonymous says:

    What company are you in?? I'm at k16 right now.

  1. Unknown says:

    Just wanted to let everyone know that these people are morons.. *Judging them over phone calls only*
    I live a good distance from Osan so i'm not just going to make a trip there one day so I called and over a span of a week of talking to them, IQ = 4. They lie and have no idea what their talking about. If you're close then lucky you, if not just have to decide whether or not its worth it to take the chance.

  1. Unknown says:

    Ok I just called and they are still open problem is the 11am to 8pm is now 1pm to 6:30pm.
    If you guys are in korea and want to buy usa legit copies go to osan air force base.

  1. Unknown says:

    Do they not sell Region free games? I was hoping to preorder games there for the preorder bonuses.

  1. Anonymous says:

    is there google gift cards there?

  1. Anonymous says:

    Don't know if anyone has been there recently but I went today to try and find them and other stores in the area said it had closed but I couldn't find out if they had just moved. Can someone confirm and maybe update about this? Hope they haven't gone.

  1. Unknown says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  1. Unknown says:

    Hey, I was super psyched to see that there is a gamestop in Korea. One question though, do they sell American Nintendo E-Shop cards?

  1. Unknown says:

    This GameStop is now closed, it has been replaced by Eastbay next to the meat returant and a little ways up the street from Velvet; Hong's Custom Tailor is still there next to it but the GameStop is gone. Hopefully Joe'll edit this to reflect that but if not, everyone be warned you're wasting your time looking for a GameStop in Korea.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Thanks for sharing GameStop Phone Number. Its help me to download a game online from official website.

Green Like a Stop Sign?

Green Like a Stop Sign?
Compliments of Elaine Fino