Latest News

Where have you been?

Friday, September 10, 2010 , Posted by Joe at 12:02 AM


So I wanted to apologize for my long hiatus from writing. I have been away learning the many lessons of life while traveling around South Korea. At first I didn't want to write because I didn't think that I could truly articulate the awesome magnitude of how I felt when I went to Gyeonggondo Beach and laid on the sand at night. And how I felt both Still and Calm while thinking of the many friends that I would have loved to have shared that moment with. To hear them laugh while I cracked a joke or two or take a moment to dream recklessly about our futures like I used to do as a freshmen in college. I held on to that fleeting memory for dear life because I wanted to remember what it felt like to not only think but BELIEVE that Anything and Everything was possible.


As I laid in the back in the sand I dug my toes deeper into the sand. "Have I become jaded or have I just accepted of the world's ills?" I would have loved to have had another person present with English as their first language to discuss that more in detail. Then one of the children's feet rippled my thoughts until the night sky returned to a solid navy blue. As he came near me to share his newfound fascination of playing with sparklers in the darkness I laughed loudly at the sight of their wide eyes.





Then at that moment I realized something; I was truly happy for the first time in a long time. Not because of the children themselves but seeing them outside of the classroom setting discovering life on their own was beautiful for them and it was the exact same thing that I am doing currently. Putting it into perspective I quickly thought of how my life WOULD have been had I not come to South Korea several months ago. I shuttered at the reality. I knew that I would have felt a deep emptiness inside of me that yearned for both answers and adventure.

So people can go their whole lives living in one area and be comfortable. When faced with the same scenario I have shortened breath and I clench my teeth at just the thought. Although I respect those who don't want to travel I am finding out that the path toward finding my Personal Solace had to be this way. I would not have been satisfied learning the same lesson close to home.

And as I left the beach to turn in for the night I realized that I had stumbled upon the true depth of my potential. I am at awe at how deep the well runs. That night I thanked the stars because I had finally found what I had lost as a child so long ago.

Currently have 0 comments:

Green Like a Stop Sign?

Green Like a Stop Sign?
Compliments of Elaine Fino