Latest News

The Day I was Ordained a Minister

Saturday, April 3, 2010 , Posted by Joe at 4:56 PM


I know that the title seems a little far-fetched but just spend a little time with me and you'll understand. On this particular day I was teaching on one of my longer days which usually ends around 10pm. About halfway through the first week I was feeling pretty comfortable with the flow of the school and I was beginning to feel pretty confident as a teacher, but that would soon change!

In the evening I teach a class called "Berkley Studies" which is pretty much a handful of students at different ages who are above their peers in reading, comprehension, and writing. These students meet with me for about 45 minutes for private instruction every Wednesday and Friday.

At the start of class I asked the students for their English names. Each student with clear articulation complied with my request, however there was one particular student that looked very confused. When it was his turn to respond with his English name he uttered his Korean name. I repeated my initial question, "May I please have your English name?"

Now my student was flipping hurriedly through his book trying to look for something. I can only imagine he was attempting to find some foreign indication that might have been recorded by a previous teacher as his English name. I asked my class to remain quiet as I grabbed one of Korean Teachers to translate my request.

Shortly afterward I returned with another Korean teacher, Samuel, at my disposal and I repeated my question. Samuel and my student spoke in Korean for a short while and Samuel returned and informed me that my student did not have an English name.

Feeling empathetic I reached for my Korean-English Dictionary and said, "Well that's too bad. We'll look up how to say his Korean name in English."

Without even listening Samuel brought the student in front of my desk and said "Please give him a name."

Stunned, I was completely taken aback by his request; thinking to myself 'This cannot be Ok!' I repeated, "What? You want ME to give HIM a name?"

Samuel nodded and told me to "Give him three choices and he will choose."

Now my mind raced for names. I looked at my student, attempting to match his face with the appropriate name, and I sputtered "Well...how about Ryan, Jason or Tommy?"

My student said each name twice and choose Jason as his new and permanent English name.

After my day of instructing was over I retired to my room which is directly adjacent to my fellow English teachers (John) room. I informed him of what had happened earlier that day. John laughed and said, "Yeah man, that's what they do here. Since some of the students aren't given English names at home it is up to us to give them English names. They usually keep these names forever and will use them when conducting business or doing international business." He proceeded to list some of the individual students that he himself had named, but all I could think was 'This..-ish..is... crazy!'


Joe - OUT!!

Currently have 0 comments:

Green Like a Stop Sign?

Green Like a Stop Sign?
Compliments of Elaine Fino