Latest News

The Prologue - Life After College

Sunday, March 14, 2010 , Posted by Joe at 7:07 PM

Let me start out with a big "WHAT THE HELL?!"


This was not how it was supposed to pan out for me. Can I speak to a manager because something is not right here?!

What I am referring to is my failed "American Dream" that I had been following with a blind loyalty that has undermined my future plans. Am I still not making sense? Let me back it up even further for those of you that are now just meeting me.

My name is Joey Johnson, but you can just call me Joe! I had just graduated from New Mexico State University in 2009 with a degree in both Sociology and Communication Studies. Now I don't expect any applause for these accolades but I do expect a career to be available for a hard worker like myself and the many other countless individuals who spent countless hours reading, writing, and researching to attain their degrees. Now unlike all of collegiate peers I spent my time supplementing my resume and CV by leading several academic organization on campus, simultaneously working full time, and working on my thesis (Gentrification and the New Tenets of Classism)as an undergrad.

Be that as it may, my frustration stems from a life-time of following this false ideal that has produced no results for my labor. This ideal to which I am referring is my perverse understanding of the American Dream. While I have spent my entire life dotting the "i's" and crossing the "t's"other's who have cut corners their entire life have breezed by from college and into workforce. I just don't understand. Growing up in California I did everything I could NOT to run with the wrong crowd. I got involved into the arts and focused my talents on more constructive ventures. Then going into college I focused all of my time on becoming a competent adult. I established a rental history, acquired good credit, and I even got a reliable car. All I needed was to get my degree and the doors of the Professional Workforce would open to my aspiring knock right?

WRONG! Now that's not to say that staying out of trouble and doing the right things were bad decisions, but these choices were sacrifice in and of itself. These sacrifices coupled with a Recession of 2008, staggering amounts of unemployment and loss of homes did serve to be conducive for my future success.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7176255.stm

It's a shame that I am not a subscriber to Luck otherwise I would just chalk it up to bad luck, throw in the towel and continue working at my current job in phone service which, for the record, is RIDICULOUS!

Someone once told me to "Never bitch." Not because it's annoying, which it is, but it serves no purpose. Nothing ever changes until you implement a feasible solution. So I'm off to to find my solution. I don't know where my travels with take me but I am off to make sense of this backwards reality. Backwards like a Green Stop Sign...




Joe - OUT!!

Currently have 1 comments:

  1. Unknown says:

    I can't say that I know how you feel bc I'm still in college, but you got to hang in there man. Plus you always know how to get out of situations like this!!

Green Like a Stop Sign?

Green Like a Stop Sign?
Compliments of Elaine Fino